Safety is a primary concern for most consumers when they buy a new car. This is especially true for women. Because of this trend, manufacturers have responded with effective safety features built into the cars they sell. The number of highway fatalities is decreasing because of this effort. Drivers are also becoming better educated on safe driving techniques. Consumers who compare car insurance quotes online and investigate ratings find the best deals. Price comparison sites help consumers identify the most affordable options. Simply searching for insurance quotes will yield comparisons for the best prices.
Consumers should follow up this research by checking the ratings for the insurance companies. This will help them get a better deal for adequate coverage. According to Consumer Reports, one of the most important safety features to look for is anti-lock brakes (ABS), which can help the driver keep the vehicle under control in less-than-ideal driving conditions.
Air bags that automatically adjust to the force of a collision are also at the top of the list. All-speed traction control makes use of the ABS and powertrain control to prevent accidents. Adjustable upper anchors for seat belts to keep them properly positioned help keep neck injuries low. Advanced safety features to look for include lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot warning, pedestrian detection, and active head restraints. Electronic stability control works to keep the car going in the intended direction by adjusting engine pull and momentarily braking one or more wheels.
Forbes reports that the top-rated cars for safe performance in 2012 include 115 winners, more than in any previous year. Among the best in separate classes are:
- Among mini cars, Ford Fiesta rated well in all safety categories. The car features separate side and driver knee airbags, electronic stability control and antilock brakes.
- Small car winners included Toyota’s Prius, which performed will in all test categories.
- Among mid-size cars in a medium price range, the Buick Verano fared very well. This car features a rollover sensor and daytime running lights along with the side and driver knee airbags, electronic stability control and antilock brakes.
- Acura TL built after September 2011 rated very high among mid-size luxury to near luxury cars.
- Minivan winners included the Chrysler Town and Country, with excellent test results.
Checking the ratings makes it much easier to shop for a new car with excellent performance on safety tests. Informed consumers also compare car insurance quotes to find the best deals available. With the myriad choices available, smart shoppers check the ratings before buying a car.